Monday 23 September 2013

Famous People with Crohn's or Colitis - Ali Jawad

Did you know that Crohn's and Colitis UK have a number of Celebrity Ambassadors and Champions, all of whom have done sterling work in raising funds and awareness for the charity.


Today's Ambassador profile is Ali Jawad, whose story is one of genuine inspiration, courage and overcoming obstacles. Ali, we salute you!

Ali Jawad is a British Paralympic Powerlifter who competed at the London 2012 Paralympic Games. 


"I’m honoured to join the ranks of sporting Champions who are using our careers and network of contacts to raise awareness of Crohn’s and Colitis (together known as IBD, or inflammatory bowel diseases). Every year in the UK, 18,000 people are newly-diagnosed, the majority in their late teens and early twenties."
"I was diagnosed in my early twenties and, to be honest, I thought it was the end of my dreams of Paralympic glory. I was in constant pain, feeling weak (not a good idea for a powerlifter!) and at times, quite depressed - particularly when I found that there is no known cure for Crohn’s Disease."
"A few months later, following surgery, I pulled myself together and went into intensive training for the London 2012 Paralympics. It was touch and go whether I would qualify, due to a flare-up, but I did. Narrowly missing out on a medal has only made me more determined to try and get to Rio and have another go."
Find out more in Ali's video for Crohn's and Colitis UK:



You can find out more about all the Crohn's and Colitis UK Ambassadors and Champions on the Crohn's and Colitis UK Website.


No comments:

Post a Comment