Friday 19 July 2013

Guest Writer Laura

Hey, I’m Laura, I’m 23 and I have ulcerative colitis. I’m going to talk about how I’ve balanced my IBD and my career so far, but first, a bit of back story...

I developed (and was diagnosed with) IBD when I was 19 years old. I was at university studying geography, at the beginning of my second year. IBD definitely affected my time at university but it was more my social life that temporarily suffered rather than my grades! When I had a flare up I stopped going on weekends away with the mountaineering society and would only occasionally go on a night out with friends due to tiredness, long queues in the toilets and embarrassment over my steroidal moon face! The positive side of this was that I had loads of time to stay in and work on my university assignments. I remember doing most of the revision for one particular exam sitting on the loo – good times! Luckily I had really supportive lecturers and friends who were happy to share their notes with me from the lectures I missed.

My super flexible university timetable was great from an IBD point of view but at some point in my final year I realised that this wouldn’t always be the case and soon I would have to get a job and live in the real world! I ended up applying for a job at a charity based in Oxford. I got the job and am still working for the same organisation two years later. When I turned up on my first day, I remember having a number of worries about how my IBD would affect my work. I’m pleased to say that these days I rarely worry about this so I thought I’d share my seven steps to achieving work-IBD zen...
1
      1. Consider your commute to work

I’m currently looking for a new place to live and my number one priority is finding somewhere which is easily commutable from my workplace. It isn’t always possible to live next door to work but a short commute can really help reduce anxiety when your stomach isn’t feeling great. Actually I lied, this is my number two priority, my number one is to find a house that has two toilets.

 2. Consider your place of work

I work in an office which is really perfect for anyone with IBD. I imagine that driving a lorry or working in a customer-facing role might be much more difficult to deal with when you’re having a flare up. When I was particularly ill last year I did have to cancel a lot of meetings but I still got loads of work done because I could chill out in the office or even do my emails from home.

3. Try not to get frustrated with people

If you’re like me, you might occasionally get annoyed with people who don’t understand exactly how you feel. For instance, you might start thinking things like “this meeting is so long, everyone is so insensitive for not realising I feel really tired and my stomach hurts and I might need to run to the toilet any minute!” No-one is psychic, so just ask for a break instead, or see step four...

 4. Let everyone know

The best thing I ever did was tell everyone I work with about my IBD, this has made my life so much easier. It can be difficult to talk about IBD because no one likes to discuss their bowels(!) but it’s so worth it. If you just say you’re ill that’s okay but colleagues will expect you to be feeling better the week after. It can take much longer to get out of a flare up so it’s really important that people know this. You just have to find the right way to do it. For my direct line manager and our HR representative this was a long email explaining all the gory details that can be hard to talk about out loud. For other people in the office, I have perfected a way of casually mentioning my IBD without using the word “bowel” once. I.e. “I have this colitis thing, my colon is inflamed so my stomach hurts and can be a bit dodgy etc etc”. I also enjoy mentioning famous people who have IBD such as Sir Steve Redgrave or footballer Darren Fletcher!

5. Have a laugh with your colleagues

Once you’ve accomplished step four, this is the next thing to do. When I had a flare up last year, two courses of steroids resulted in a pretty epic moon face. This usually gets me down but I was weirdly cheered up by my colleague singing “moooon face dot com” whenever I walked into the office! So much nicer than everyone skirting around the issue.

 6. Take control of your calendar

Once I’d been working in a proper job for a few months, I realised that I could make my calendar work to suit me. This really reduced my IBD-related anxiety. Obviously you need to do this in consultation with your boss. I don’t know how it goes for other people with IBD but when I’m flaring up my symptoms are particularly bad during the morning. So I arranged with my boss that I would work from home each morning and come into work in the afternoons for meetings if I felt like it. Flexi-time means I can have a lie-in if I’ve been unwell during the night too.

 7. Check out Good Desk, Bad Desk

Finally, Crohn’s & Colitis UK have a great website called Good Desk, Bad Desk which has some useful resources and interesting statistics on employment and IBD. I sent a link to this website to some colleagues when I first started and I think it really helped them understand things.

I hope these tips are helpful for people with IBD who are just about to begin their career after school, college or university. I realise that I’m pretty lucky to have great employers who allow so much flexi-time but I think this is becoming more and more common, especially now so much work is done online. It must have been much trickier to keep up with work for people with IBD before the internet existed! If you have any tips of your own I’d love to hear them so please post in the comments section below.









No comments:

Post a Comment