Thursday 6 June 2013

Guest Writer - Lindsay "Me and My Gremlin"


Since August 2005, I’ve had a little friend that goes everywhere with me.

Even writing that statement makes me feel a bit mental. And you probably think I am too. But, please, stick with me on this one.

So this friend. I call him my Crohn’s Gremlin.  I haven’t gone as far as giving him a real name, because that would absolutely be taking this too far, but I have him. And every time I go to do something, whether it’s book a three-month-long trip to the USA or grab a particularly spicy curry from the supermarket refrigeration aisle, he’s in my ear hissing, ‘Are you sure you should do that?’

Sometimes, I listen to him. The curry always gets put back. The three-month-long trip to the States, however, went ahead. Twice. 75% of the time, I’d say my gremlin doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The other 25%? He’s totally spot on.

Oh hey! Did you have plans today?
If you have an IBD, you probably recognise this feeling. The part fear, part ‘oh right, I should be sensible’ that comes with having a bowel condition. The rest of the population would say, ‘That is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. How bad can a bit of tummy trouble be?’

And there’s the thing. It’s not just a bit of tummy trouble. It’s everything. It’s getting woken up in the middle of the night with a searing stomach pain and constant urge to go. It’s juggling your studies, your work, your social life with regular medication to get it all done. It’s lying in a ball on the bathroom floor when you’ve eaten something you shouldn’t have (a day when the gremlin just wasn’t loud enough). It’s hours on the toilet. It’s vomiting as soon as you eat mid-flare. It’s the worst pain you can imagine – worse than IBS like your pal’s Auntie Kath has, and 100 times worse than a dodgy kebab. It’s pain so violent you can hardly breathe – literally, your breath catches in your throat, morphs into a panic attack and you genuinely believe for a moment that you might die. It’s not having any clothes that fit because you keep on losing weight, and you really don’t want to. It’s cancelling plans and becoming the flaky friend but you just don’t have the energy. It’s being anxious about even going out in case ‘things go wrong’. And, God – it’s embarrassing. “Hi, I’m 18 years old and I have a bowel condition.”

Because that was me. 18 years old, standing on the edge of the rest of my life, with uni and hot uni boys and uni nights out and more hot uni boys (and an exciting media career once I’d got all of that out of my system) stretching out in front of me. Then it was all pulled away from under my feet when I was told that all of that? The pain and the cancelled plans and all that quality time on the loo? That’s Crohn’s disease. And you’ve got it forever.


Being in hospital, hooked up to drips of steroids and antibiotics and regular morphine injections while your mates are in the pub, is not really the dream, let’s face it. It’s probably as far away from the dream as it gets. For me, in that hospital room, surrounded by grapes and cards and soft toys (does anyone else have an abundance of soft toys from hospital stays?), I thought life was over. I hung up any hope of going to uni or having a social life, I gave up on the notion of being a journalist, of falling in love, of having babies, of being normal. And I accepted the fact that I was going to be the Girl with the Knackered Bowel forevermore.

It’s dark, having a bowel condition. And people will roll their eyes and tut at that, because, God, how melodramatic can you get? But it is. It’s lonely. Accepting that things are going to be different from now on is really, really tough, especially when you’re young. It’s accepting that you’re not going to be like your mates all the time. It’s accepting that you’ll spend a lot of time in your bathroom – to the point that you’re familiar with the pattern on each tile at eye level and you’re considering getting a magazine rack for beside the loo. 

It’s accepting that you’ll spend a lot of time at your doctor’s and in the local pharmacy. It’s accepting that you might have to research the menu before you go out for dinner, or scout out where the loos are whenever you go somewhere new. It’s accepting that, when dating, there will come a point when you have to explain that you have a really attractive bowel problem. It’s accepting a new you.

After a few months of more drugs than I even knew existed, actually starting uni, battling with people not understanding IBD at uni, missing lectures because of flare ups, dropping out of uni, dealing with crippling anxiety, very dark days, a bowel resection and having a Good Long Look at myself, I decided – d’you know what? I don’t want to be the Girl With the Knackered Bowel. I just want to be me.
"A scar does not form on the dying.
A scar means, I survived
"
Chris Cleave

And my health started to improve. The resection worked, the drugs started to kick in and, very quietly, I was ready to give it all another go. So I went back to uni, I got a degree, bagged a problem page in a Scottish national newspaper, spent two summers working at a summer camp in New York, did loads of work experience, worked weekends in retail, went on drunken holidays with my friends and, just after finishing up a journalism postgrad at university, I got offered a job with a small magazine publishers based in Glasgow. I now work full-time as the assistant editor for a range of free magazines, including disability title Enable and student magazine Source. I am busy all the time and absolutely thrilled to say I am a proper journalist – I’ve got to do some incredible things over the last couple of years.

Sure, there are bad days when I’m knocking back painkillers at my desk, going for investigative colonoscopies, woken in the middle of the night by the pain, strolling around the house with a hot water bottle clutched to my stomach and having constant battles with my gremlin, but overall? I’m good. My Crohn’s is – she says, touching every bit of wood in sight – under control. My life is under control. And there was a time when I, the Girl With the Knackered Bowel, thought I’d never get to be here.

I don’t let Crohn’s define me. I am completely open about having it – something that freaks a lot of people out because, heaven forbid, we’re British and absolutely do not talk about poo – but I don’t let it hold me back. OK, sometimes I will listen to my gremlin. Usually when it comes to ordering carbonara in restaurants or knocking back another glass of wine. But everything else? Sorry Crohn’s Gremlin, I’m absolutely going to give it a go and I’m going to try and do it well. 

And I think you should too.





No comments:

Post a Comment