Friday 21 June 2013

Guest Writer - Kelly

Kelly is a fitness instructor and personal trainer.

Ulcerative Colitis, exercise and nutrition – a personal battle

This blog is something that is very close to my heart.  I have suffered from Ulcerative Colitis since 2006, it is
a bowel condition which along with Crohn’s Disease affects around 1 in 250 people in the UK.  Since having this condition it has caused problems with my exercise regime and as a fitness professional this has also affected my work.  The challenges to anyone suffering from Crohn’s Disease or Ulcerative Colitis (the two inflammatory bowel diseases- IBD) of just simply maintaining fitness levels, never mind competing or achieving sporting success are the symptoms of fatigue, diarrhoea, joint problems and severe pain.

I am writing this blog to attempt to reach out to fellow sufferers of IBD and to explain that a healthy, fit lifestyle can be maintained and you can also train probably harder than you thought.  When I was first diagnosed with colitis I found talking about it difficult and I was embarrassed but now I want to help people so I will explain how exercise makes me feel, what types of training I do and how I had to adjust my diet to suit my condition.  I have also found a copy of a sport and fitness survey done by Crohn’s and Colitis UK which gave me an insight into how other people with IBD cope with sport and exercise.  IBD does not stop sportsmen and women, there are a few Olympians, sporting champions and sporting greats that suffer from IBD and have went on to some success in their sporting career managing their conditions well.

  •          Sir Steve Redgrave – 5 time Olympic gold medal winning rower
  •          Darren Fletcher – Manchester United and Scotland footballer
  •          Lewis Moody – former England rugby team captain
  •          Russell Martin – Scottish international and Norwich City footballer
  •          Henry Tosh - World champion power lifter
  •          Ali Jawad – Para-Olympic weight lifter
  •          Rick Parfitt Junior – Racing car driver


Three members of my family have suffered/suffer from ulcerative colitis however they say that it is not a genetic disorder.  As I said, I was diagnosed in 2006 and had a very rough two years with the condition in the beginning to the point I could not even gain the strength to change my clothes at 26 - my mum basically had to look after me.  I lost a lot of weight, became very weak, ill and lost a lot of confidence.  

My IBD has seen me hospitalised 2 times since diagnosis and I am on tablets for the rest of my life.  However in May 2013 I have been in remission for two years so I think I am now in a ‘good’ relationship with my condition.  When I was first diagnosed with colitis I was unsure whether I could train to the same level I had done before or what to eat to keep my condition under control I wasn’t really given a lot of information on the subject and over the last 7 years it has been a hell of a lot of trial and error.

So this is my attempt to reach people who suffer from IBD who are unsure of exercise and what to do.  If you don’t suffer from IBD but know of someone who does I would be very grateful if you could forward this or share this as I would like to help anyone I can.

The survey which I read showed that it can be life limiting for people who were previously fit and active who are suddenly faced with this serious condition be it Crohn’s or Colitis which may require surgery and a huge reduction in their fitness levels.  They concluded that being placed under external constraints such as lack of toilet facilities further reduces overall well being and forces them to give up preferred sports and fitness activities, however I have not found this to be the case. 

I completely understand that everyone’s condition is different but I still take part in outdoor activities like 10k’s, half marathons and I embarking on triathlon training so most of my events are outside.  Now I have done half marathons before where you will find me in the queue for the toilet before during and after the run so sometimes getting a PB with IBD does not happen because your time increases waiting on the toilet.  But I want to reassure anyone who wants to take part in outside activities and sports that it can be done and your condition should not put you off.

As I mentioned I am about to embark on training for triathlons with the ultimate goal to finish an ironman in 2-3 years.  Now I will never say that my condition prevents me from taking part in events or training, however I feel the side effects can hinder me slightly.  Severe fatigue, achy joints, the need for the loo and anaemia are probably the most frequent side effects.  I mostly train in a gym so I can be near a toilet when I need and I try to not think of needing the loo, if I am fatigued then I will try and rest more in my training, the achy joints well at the moment I still have no ‘cure’ for that unfortunately and I take spa tone for my iron levels as I cannot tolerate iron tablet plus I eat a lot of iron rich foods.  However I still aim to train 4-6 days a week on a good week and some of that is in the gym, the pool or outside running or cycling. 

I cannot stress enough that IBD should not affect your fitness and exercise in your life, you just have to see what works for you and how your body adapts to it.  I would recommend keeping a diary about your condition, what you eat and drink, exercise and how you are feeling.  Try and keep that for a few months, write in it every day and you will get an understanding of what works for your body and condition.

Another reason not to give up on exercise and fitness is it makes you healthy.  I feel if I train my symptoms are great, I have never had a flare up when I am exercising and when I am feeling fit it is usually when I am feeling unwell or stressed.  But I will point out that over training, injury and too much training are stressors for me and they will bring on feeling unwell which may lead to flare ups.  I also eat better when I exercise right and this helps control my condition.  I feel strong and fit and I also have more energy so overall exercise really helps my colitis.

In the survey they asked whether people who have IBD currently took part in activity and the majority (66%) agreed that they did but a third stated that they did not.  The people who said they did exercise where then asked how often they managed to exercise, their answers are below:

  •          Daily = 32% 
  •       Weekly = 57%  
  •       Monthly = 5% 
  •       Less Often = 4% 
  •       Hardly Ever/Never = 1%
  •       No Answer = 1%


So as you can see IBD sufferers do manage to do some form of activity and mostly weekly or daily.

Also the survey asked what type of exercise they take part in, the answers are below:

  •               Walking = 16%
  •        Jogging/Running = 15% 
  •        Gym = 13%
  •        Swimming = 12% 
  •        Cycling = 9% 
  •        Zumba = 6%
  •        Yoga = 5%


Some of the above exercises can be outside so exercise does not always have to be near a toilet for you to take part.  Some IBD sufferers I know regularly run and go to the gym and walk dogs.  So you don’t have to train as daft as me with weights, swimming, cycling and running you can go for a walk, play golf etc. but what I would recommend is, if you were well enough bring exercise into your life and your IBD symptoms will probably be more controlled.

When the participants of the survey where asked how IBD has affected their fitness 50% stated that their fitness levels had been greatly affected by IBD and 38% said that IBD had affected their fitness levels very little.  On a positive not 12% stated that IBD had not affected their fitness.  I feel that it is very individual with your condition and your exercise so again I would say try it out and see if it works for you.  The benefits of exercise are too good to miss out on with fear of triggering a flare up.  On a very positive side to this a resounding 72% of the survey stated that exercise makes them feel better but 23% said that exercise can make them feel worse and 7% gave no answer.

When asked why does exercise make you feel better the participants of the survey answered as follows: 46% said that sport and fitness activities made them feel better about themselves and improved their general well being and confidence, 12% said it boosted their energy levels, 9% felt fitter/healthier and 12% stated that exercise helped improve their IBD symptoms, helped their weight control (steroids for IBD treatment can cause weight gain) and improved their sleep.  Also 4% said that sport/fitness gave them a focus other than their condition and another 4% said they felt ‘normal’ when taking part in sport.  I completely agree with the last statement exercising gives me a release from my life and my condition.

Other interesting questions/answers from the survey:

Why does exercise make you feel worse?
For the 204 people who stated that exercise made them feel worse, the key issues were extreme fatigue (41%), exercise increases their need for the toilet (12%), causes increased stomach pain (17%), increases joint pain (7%), their IBD slows their recovery times (5%) and exacerbates their IBD symptoms (11%).  I have said that joint pain is one of my symptoms that is always there when exercising but I feel changing my exercises/sport helps that, my colitis does slow my recovery down and makes my body ache longer than for ‘normal’ people but through proper nutrition, recovery days and keeping an eye on my training load I can work around this.  With regards to the needing the toilet, most IBD sufferers can relate to this, I have found that if you keep thinking about it you will need the toilet, I just try and think of different things and that usually works, however it has taken me a long time to get into the mind over matter strategy with the toilet and my colitis but if you work at it, it may work for you.

With regards to diet I have found over the years that if I eat an almost gluten and oats free diet I feel 100% better.  My diet is based on vegetables, salad’s, some fruits, eggs, beans, fats, limited dairy and lentils washed down with plenty water.  I find that grains, oats and gluten make you bloated and uncomfortable anyway so I feel as an IBD sufferer I don’t want to feel uncomfortable in the bowel region and possibly trigger my symptoms through poor food choices.  I also hardly drink as this just aggravates my colitis.  Again as with exercise its finding what suits you and your condition.  However with a good healthy diet you will reap the benefits of healthy skin, healthy weight and you will look and feel good and you should be able to control your IBD better too.

I hope this has helped any IBD sufferers if they were concerned about exercise, nutrition and the effects on their IBD.  An exercise regime and healthy eating plan will give you a better life and as a by-product should help your IBD.  Just go out and find out what works for you.  I feel the worst thing you can do is to not try to exercise or change your diet for the better.  If you have any questions please feel free to comment.

Email:                    k.mccraw@fettes.com
Twitter:                @kellymccraw


Survey mentioned and answers/questions derived from Crohn’s and Colitis UK – Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Sport and Fitness Survey Overview and Key Insights – May 2012
View the full report here


No comments:

Post a Comment