Monday 23 June 2014

Apology From Dr. Mitton Over the Junk Food Drama...

In case you were on Mars last week and didn't see the controversial reports on TV and in the papers about Junk Food and Crohn's Disease...

See the original interview here and read up on our interviewee's experiences here.

Following all your comments, complaints and our efforts behind the scenes, calling journalists and getting edits, we were pleased to read this from Dr. Sally Mitton, whose comments about junk food causing Crohn's Disease were at the centre of the debate.

First and foremost I would like to apologise for the distress that I have caused by what was shown on the BBC to all Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis patients. I was unable to respond more quickly to the reactions to this report due to very heavy clinical commitments. I feel that what I said and the subsequent coverage has been misinterpreted and I would like to clarify this now.

I said that Crohn’s disease occurs in those who are genetically susceptible and that the unexplained recent increase in numbers diagnosed amongst young people in the UK is likely to be related to life style. I did mention pre diagnosis diet and multiple courses of antibiotics as possible factors preceding the development of overt disease in some cases. I did not say that junk food or frequent courses of antibiotics CAUSE Crohn’s disease. I am very aware there are many patients with IBD who eat a very healthy and nutritious diet and have always done so before their diagnosis.

However, since the initial report on 18th of June there have been subsequent newspaper and television reports that focus on the assumption that Crohn’s Disease seems to be “caused” by junk food and multiple antibiotics. This is not my belief and is a distortion.

I did not mean to imply any element of self-infliction and I am appalled to think this could set back public perception of IBD or that sufferers might be blamed for their own pain and misfortune.

I would like to sincerely apologise again for the distress that my comments have caused.

Dr Sally Mitton
Consultant Paediatric Gastroenterologist

Prof Chris Norton


And that is where we will draw the line on this. It was unfortunate that the real point of the appearance of our CEO and our member Rachel Flint was to talk about the Fatigue Project that is the focus of our media campaign this year. SO that's what we'll be talking about from now on!



No comments:

Post a Comment